[time-nuts] Sensitivity to g in atomic clocks

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Tue Jan 11 18:53:07 UTC 2011

Hi Antonio:

Atomic clocks don't have a sensitivity to the direction of the
acceleration like a crystal.  That's to say a crystal has "planes" and
the direction of the acceleration changes the crystal frequency.  See
the plot at:
http://www.prc68.com/I/PRS10.shtml#Accel
The PRS10 was rotated so different faces were sitting on the bench and
the Electronic Frequency Control signal to the crystal oscillator were
plotted, see:
http://www.prc68.com/I/Images/FC_ROT.jpg

But atomic frequency standards have a sensitivity to the magnitude of
the gravitational field they are in.  See:
Project GREAT: General Relativity Einstein/Essen Anniversary Test
Clocks, Kids, and General Relativity on Mt Rainier
http://www.leapsecond.com/great2005/

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com