[time-nuts] Frequency standards for characterizing GPSDO's ?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 29 20:51:43 UTC 2011

On 29/01/11 20:53, Mark Spencer wrote:
> Greetings I'm looking suggestions for a frequency standard for characterizing
> GPSDO's.   I've got one 10811 (out of 3) that seems to be stable enough to be
> able to use as a frequency reference to draw conclusions about GPSDO performance
> using a 5370B counter in time interval mode.  (It typically takes
> several thousand seconds for a phase wrap to occur.)   I'm contemplating
> acquiring a Rubidium standard as a next step and would be interested in any
> opinions as logical next steps.

Consider a PICTIC II and a FEI rubidium (or compatible from Temex). Toss
a processor of choice to take the PICTIC II data, implement a
PI-regulator and then steer the rubidium over the serial interface.

For best system design one would need four serial interfaces (GPS,
rubidium, PICTIC II and supervision). Would be a rather neat solution.

Cheers,
Magnus