[time-nuts] Broadband synthesizer (WB6BNQ)

Murray Greenman Murray.Greenman at rakon.com
Wed Jul 13 18:37:10 UTC 2011

Bill,
One method I've found convenient is to use a DDS Development kit such as
the AD9852 one and drive that from a Rubidium or GPSDO source. I have a
60MHz FEI-5680B driving mine and easily get 0 - 200MHz out. No, it won't
give all the range you want, but there are few alternatives that will,
certainly not at the price.

You can run these kits directly off a 10MHz GPSDO, using a higher
multiplier setting, but they do work better if the reference is higher.
They provide micro Hz stepping with no trouble at all. The only
inconvenient thing with my older kit is that the computer interface is
via a parallel (printer) port.

I've used mine to zero-beat against the GPSDO at 10MHz and (using a
Vector Voltmeter) compare the phase shift over 24 hours. It has shown me
that not all GPSDOs are created equal!

73,
Murray ZL1BPU