[time-nuts] alkali metals and water

NeonJohn jgd at neon-john.com
Thu Mar 3 08:52:19 UTC 2011

On 03/03/2011 02:52 AM, Robert Atkinson wrote:
> Hmm, Anyone else remember Sodium-Sulphur secondary batteries? they
> were proposed for electric vehicles in the late 70's I rode on a
> prototype at Chloride. You have to heat them up to melt both the
> Sodium and the Sulphur to make them work (about 270 deg C). Always
> sounded like a bad mixture to me.

Far from dead.  They're getting fairly widespread deployment as static
peak shavers for utilities.  Cheaper than gas turbines, can be located
anywhere and make no noise.

Lots of noises being made about resurrecting the chemistry for
automotive use.  packaged in vacuum containers, there is very minimal
heat input requirement and that is usually supplied by normal charge and
discharge cycles.

John

--
John DeArmond