[time-nuts] Lady Heather Question

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Mon May 2 06:14:34 UTC 2011

I've been running Lady Heather for some months now.  I've always been
puzzled by one characteristic of the graphs.  If I use a view setting of
anything other than 1 sec. per division, the oscillator graph in
particular, 'runs wild'.  Spikes appear and disappear.  From second to
second the sdv value can swing up and down by 10 or 20 ppt or more.  The
ADEV values reported by Lady Heather are stable at 1.x e-8 @ 1 sec. and
1.x e-12 @ 10K sec. through this.  My ability to measure ADEV at low Tau
values is not great, but I'm getting numbers in the e-12 range for Tau =
1-10 seconds which suggests that the Osc isn't all that bad.

Lady Heather Version 3.0; Jan. 15 - 2011.
Autoscaling of the graphs is disabled.
Time Constant, Damping, & Gain are at default
Satellite constellation is stable.  Right now it happens to be 5 satellites.

What's going on?

Thanks,
Ed