[time-nuts] basic question on GPS satellites

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Mon May 16 03:01:44 UTC 2011

Hi Eugene,

I will presume from your call sign that you are North of the equator.  Thus you
would want to have the best visibility (i.e., clear) pointing to the South.  The
fact that you are at the window, on the inside, does limit the amount of sky you
can see.  Just getting it on the roof will make a reasonable difference.  Getting
above, or reasonably at the same height as, the trees should be the goal.

I would use something better then RG-58 when you put it outside.  Even RG-6 with
quality connectors, the good type used by the cable TV companies, is better than
RG-58 at the GPS frequency.

As for increasing the voltage to the antenna, I would definitely be careful
there.  No doubt a regulator of some sort is used up at the antenna and raising
the voltage would just make that regulator work harder.  If the voltage is well
lower than the specified 5 volts, I would investigate why that is.  Could be your
meter is off ?  The only reason for raising the voltage a TAD would be if you had
a very long run (like over 200 feet) to compensate for I*R losses if they are
significant.  However, such a long run would be counterproductive due to line
loss at the RF frequency of the GPS.

73....Bill....WB6BNQ