[time-nuts] FE-5680A performance - 1 PPS output issue

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 05:03:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM, Robert Benward <rbenward at verizon.net> wrote:
> You've had more progress than I did, I don't get anything out of pin 6.  I
> did see the levels toggle, but that was about it.  On various websites I
> read to get exactly 1pps, you need a programmable 5680 because it needs to
> be set to something like 8.388MHz (2^23) to divide down properly.  I suspect
> you may not be able to get both; 10MHz and 1pps.

I just got one of the $38 units on eBay.  It has both 10MHz and 1PPS.
 My HP5328 counter only works at the uSecond level but as far as it
can tell my FE5380 tracks my GPS.

The new fe5380 can be programmed but only over a very small range
right around 10MHz.

When we talk about fe5380 there are enough different types that are so
very different but all have the same part numbers.   We need a name
for the types and a why a user can find the name of the unit he has.
a Wiki would be great.  Is there a FE5380 article yet on wikipeadia?

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California