[time-nuts] Internal 5 volt switching regulator on some "non-programmable" FE-5680A's

Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Mon Jan 9 20:32:57 UTC 2012

 I suspect the reason was far simpler:  5 volts was available in the system, why not use it and take the small amount of heat out of the box.  There would also be a reliability improvement, one less regulator per freq standard.

I bet the cost of the regulator is insignificant compared to the unit itself.

On 01/09/12, Chris Albertson<albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM, David <davidwhess at gmail.com> wrote:

> If noise was so important I wonder why they did not use a lower noise
> switching regulator or the LT1375 which supports oscillator
> synchronization.

Maybe noise WAS important, so they removed the regulator altogether. That
would fixed the noise problem 100% and save $3 in parts.

The other reason to remove the regulator is just to save the $3.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California