[time-nuts] Adding adjustment pot to 5680

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 21:06:12 UTC 2012

 I resisted the suggestion to use Twinkies for insulation (and ate them!),
plus tossed out all the other 'good' suggestion for modifications like
using a robotic arm to move a magnet to trim the frequency, and used
a very simple modification that I just completed a few minutes ago; and
it seems to be working well. On the inside of the case where the DB-9
pins go through the circuit board, I mounted a 7805 fixed regulator. I
cut a piece out of pin 4 and connected the output of the 7805 to the
board side of the pin with a tantalum cap for bypass. I decided not to
use a 78L05 because at the elevated temperature I felt it would be
cutting it too close to the 100MA current limit. I then soldered a wire
to the connector side of pin 4 and ran it through the center heatsink to
pin 5 of the IC next to the ribbon connector (in series with a 100K ohm
resistor) as described by Bill Riches on Thu Dec 22 22:00:40 UTC 2011.
Pin 4 now 'floats' at 2.5V and can be connected to an external 10-turn
pot adjustable from 0-5V to trim the frequency, or to a DAC for EFC.

 So the 5680 I have can now be adjusted externally by a 0-5V signal
and it requires just the single 15V supply. And for the penny-pinchers,
the added parts cost well under $3. ;-)  A photo of the regulator before
I connected the wire to pin 4 on the connector is at the link below.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7013/6668466093_90782cf7e9_b.jpg

-Arthur