[time-nuts] FE-5680A arrived

Joseph Gray jgray at zianet.com
Wed Jan 11 02:03:55 UTC 2012

With all the talk on the list about these things, and considering the
price, I could no longer resist temptation and ordered two from
nichegeek.

First, I was amazed at the speed at which I received these units. The
order was placed last Friday, the shipment went out late Saturday and
I received them today (Tuesday). In my experience, it has always taken
two weeks or more to receive anything from China. I couldn't believe I
got these in just three days.

BTW, I paid $38 each with the free shipping. An outstanding deal IMO.
I also received the semi-useless freebies.

My only quibble so far is that both units were packed in nothing more
than a large envelope, with a thin layer of bubble wrap added. Nothing
is dented or rattling around, so hopefully they are OK. I'm just about
to wire up a cable and power them on, so I'll know soon.

The units I got have numbers of UN 71xxx and UN 78xxx. I don't know
exactly what this means, but according to the ebay sellers, they are
claiming that 6xxxx and 7xxxx numbers indicate newer units. Can anyone
decipher this number sequence?

Joe Gray
W5JG