[time-nuts] FE-5680A Mechanical Question

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Fri Jan 13 20:47:42 UTC 2012

I would just use a picaxe, has a simple to use IDE and several different
sizes. No need for assembly, cheap enough for quasi-production.
Don

Chris Albertson
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:19 AM,  <EWKehren at aol.com> wrote:
>> What we know is that you can set the Rb in 7 E-13. Dithering would
>> allow
>> even closer setting, the question is what rate will the Rb accept with
>> out
>> loosing lock or deterioration of the performance. Some one should
>> explore
>> that.  I am still waiting to se some aging. Taking the 10 MHz output
>> and than
>> use an  analog loop and something like a Morion OCXO and you have the
>> best of
>> all.
>> Digitally controlling the Rb will cut the cost of the control loop in
>> half.
>>  For $10 in parts and a PC board for less than $10 using Shera like
>> controller  can be realized. What is needed is some one able to do the
>> PIC.
>> If some one is interested and able, please contact me off list. A low
>> cost
>> GPS or a 1 pps output of a Tbolt be perfect source.
>> Bert Kehren
>
> Don't use a PIC for the prototype.  A desktop PC could work as well
> and everyone here already has one.   Connect the FE5680 to the PC's
> serial port and send commands to adjust it.  The PC also needs to be
> able to read a voltage.   Many already have audio input with 24-bit
> ADC chips.
>
> Later you can move the C code from the PC pretty much directly to an
> AVR.  PICs typically use assembly language, that is harder and limits
> the number of people who can contribute changes to the code.  But you
> can start with a PC, maybe running Linux or BSD.
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road