[time-nuts] mixers for frequency measurement

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 05:04:21 UTC 2012

I want to get set up to make accurate frequency stability measurements
at reasonable cost.  I think mixers are the way to do that.   I'll set
up a single mixer first them later learn to use the double mixer
technique.   But I will use the simpler single mixer to try out the
parts.  My goal is a multi-channel double mixer setup.

First question:  Which type of mixers work best for this.   I have
some SA612 chips in the parts bin.  Or should I be using diodes or
something else.  Yes I know I could simply buy one from Mini Circuits
but that defeats the purpose which is learning how to do this

2nd question.  if the device under test is a square wave oscillator is
it best to run the square wave right into a mixer or filter them to
sine waves first. I see pros and cons of each.  What do the experts
do?

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California