[time-nuts] T'bolt antenna lead-in running near HF RF transmitting coax

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 02:29:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM, James Robbins <jsrobbins at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Can I safely run the GPS antenna coax
> through the same hole which would put the coax parallel with and touching
> the other coax for about 8 inches.  If not, how much separation would be
> advisable?

In theory there should be no interaction at all between the two lines.
 The coax is not perfect but also the appall run is only 8 inches

The thing to really think about is how far is the GPS antenna from the
Hf transmitting antenna?   The effect of having the the GPS antenna in
the near field of a 500W HF transmitter is going to be orders of
magnitude larger then then 8" parallel

But it is not so bad the Thunderbold is designed to handle "hold over"
well.  So if your HF transmitter jams the GPS it will do find so long
as you don't transmit for many hours and days with not break.   I'd be
a little worried if you were sending digital mode for 8 or 20 hours at
a time.
Chris Albertson run.

Redondo Beach, California