[time-nuts] HP 117/10509a...

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Thu Jul 5 21:43:46 UTC 2012

> Hi:
> This is so frustrating!

Agreed.

> Who makes cheap clocks? CHINA.
>
> Who uses phase comparison? DOD, American Colleges and Universities,
> Laboratories, Astronomers, American Private Industry, Time Nuts, ETC.

Not really. They have all drunk the GPS Kool-Aid.

To allow a second source for a standard of time interval, carries the
implication that GPS is not invulnerable. If that's true, people may
wonder what else needs a backup, like navigation? Electric grid
synchronization? Phones?

> What is our government doing?

One man, one vote, (one time?). There are a lot more cheap Chinese
'Atomic' clocks sold every day than timing receivers sold in a year.
Numbers count.

> They appear to be the best friend Chinese manufacturers ever had!

Certainly true, in The Donald's view. The US government plays checkers,
the Chinese and Japanese play Chess...  to steal an analogy.

US companies, driven by Wall Street quarter-over-quarter greed, think
about the next quarter; Asian companies think about the next few decades.

The switch to HDTV was supposed to be a giant stimulus for the US
electronics industry, hence a US 'standard'. How did that work out? What
fraction of HDTVs are US made?

YMMV,

-John