[time-nuts] GPS and Rubidium frequency standards and noise question (newbie).

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Sun Jun 3 19:55:45 UTC 2012

Hello Chris,

You are on the right track.

I have had the Trimble Thunderbolts (3 each) for about 5 years now.
Just to be sure everything compares favorably....
I use Lady Heather PC software to monitor their performance (de KE5FX
website)

Stay tuned to this reflector, lotsa interesting discussions.

For me, it all started when I needed better than 1 Hz accuracy to  monitor
the 137 KHz band for local experimental activity.

the 10 MHz from the GPS/DO was the external reference to the HP-3336B
synthesizer
as a RF test signal to calibrate my RX (IC-706MK2 and a IC-703+) and PC
soundcard.
Spectrum Lab PC software has a provision to calibrate the PC soundcard,
for greater accuracy,
but you have to have a very accurate signal source.

Then there are the FMT-Nuts, frequency measuring contest nuts, who are
getting better than 1 milliHz
frequency measurement accuracies on intercontinental (US) HF
communications !!

I was also doing LORAN-C receiving and could achieve Cesium accuracy,
at least 2 orders of magnitude greater accuracy than a GPS/DO.
But US/Canadian  based LORAN went off the air, but it is still available
in Europe.
I do not know where you are located, so maybe LORAN has potential for you.

AUSTRON made a variety of LORAN-C receivers, 2100F, 2100(R), 2000, etc
Stanford Research Systems (SRS) also made the FS-700
Because they are useless in the US, pricing on Ebay has dropped.

Stan, W1LE    Cape Cod   FN41sr