[time-nuts] Faster than light of a different type

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed May 9 17:43:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, 08 May 2012 01:14:01 -0700
jim s <jws at jwsss.com> wrote:

> Hal, others,
> There were two things that are interesting about this.  There was a
> special about Hawkings theories and a recent turn of heart and theory he
> had, which hits at the center of the quantum theory involved here.

I don't know about that one... Lost track (and a lot of interest) of
Hawkings after i found out that his book lacks nearly all physical
details and is a pure none techical description of what he's been up to.
(if you want to know how to do it better, read "The God Particle"
by Lederman). And being in highschool back then and not having access
to the papers i have today, it was kind of disapointing to not know
what all that stuff he writes about is really about:)

> The other is the current groups experience with Rb oscillators and those
> comments.  May be way off track.  I was interested there were two
> frequencies referred to in the news article.  So hopefully the full
> details will be revealed as to what that means and it can be discussed.
> Not enough in the register article.

Are you familiar with coherent population trapping in an A configuration?
They are doing something similar. If i understood the paper correctly,
they use one laser to seed one ground state (generating an non-thermal
distribution), use a second laser to pump the atoms into an excited
state. If they now send pulses of the first seed laser, they get
superluminal pulse at a third frequency (from the exited state to the
second, unpopulated ground state) that seems to exit before the seed
laser pulse.

I havent read the paper completely and those parts i have, not very carefully
either, not to speak that nuclear physics is way over my head..
so i might be completely wrong...

				Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?