[time-nuts] pulse height

M. Simon msimon6808 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 10:03:02 UTC 2012

Unless your coax is unusually long it should only look like 50 ohms on the leading and trailing edges of the pulse. A rough guide is  1nS per foot. So 10 ft of coax will look like 50 ohms for 10 nS. Of course the velocity factor of the coax will lengthen that time by roughly 50% for most coax you will find around the shop.

You might want to set up a triggered 555 (556) or some such fed into some high speed CMOS (LVC or AHC etc) to see if it is your set up or the eqpt. For starters just the 555 will give you an indication. Start with 10 or 20uS pulses at around 100 Hz and slow the rep rate down.

Dumb question: are you using a 10X probe? Have you accounted for that?

Simon

=====