[time-nuts] Sayrosa 607B Frequency Synthesizer

Mike Millen mike.millen.uk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 18:46:25 UTC 2012

GandalfG8 at aol.com wrote:
> I haven't seen too many of these in the wild so can I  assume this
> was the unit recently sold on Ebay?

It was indeed.

> If so you got an excellent drive unit at a very good price, even if it
> isn't working at the moment:-)

That's just what I thought.  It's beautifully made... probably cost the
taxpayer a fortune in its day.  :)

> FCO standard equipment with these was the HCD-1519 1MHz frequency
> reference and whilst they are specified to run from 1, 5, or  10MHz

I've tried it with both 1MHz & 10MHz & it locked up straight away with both.

> Is there a number showing on the display to go with your "Fault"
> indication, and are any other of the indicators illuminated?

Sorry... I should have mentioned that in my first post... it's showing Fault
4.

> It's possible a link may be required on one of the rear  connectors to
> enable stand alone operation but again I can't remember offhand so
> will check and come back to you on that too, but there shouldn't be
> any  significant wiring needed.

That's what I'm hoping.

> Like much equipment from that era though these units suffered the
> dreaded tantalum capacitor disease and it's quite possible that one
> or more modules may  be afflicted.

I brought it up gently on a variac, monitoring the rails as I went. They
were all good until I reached 240v, then one of the +12v rails went to 0v.

I traced it to a s/c tantalum in one of the modules.  :-)  All OK now.

I'll be extremely pleased if you're able to shed any light on "Fault 4",
Nigel, or what jumpers/connnections I might need to make.

If you have any printed data I'd be happy to pay all your costs for a copy.

Regards,
Mike
M0MLM