[time-nuts] Best counter setting for ADEV?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 2 20:58:57 UTC 2012

On 10/02/2012 10:45 PM, David wrote:
> I am sorry if my question was not clear.
>
> Why not phase lock the clock that the pulse per second output is
> derived from to GPS time so that the pulse per second output does not
> display sawtooth jitter.
>
> I assume this is not done because it is cheaper to report the sawtooth
> correction for those who can use it rather than change the GPS
> receiver hardware.

You could do that. There are GPS receivers which can do that. It is a
little more expensive as you need a steerable TCXO and some components
to drive the VC input, the software algorithms for it is fairly trivial.

Oh, the Thunderbolt is built that way.

The real reason is that few users of GPS receivers care about details
like that.

Cheers,
Magnus