[time-nuts] SDR Radio Opinion- Next Question

wb6bnq wb6bnq at cox.net
Mon Aug 5 18:36:32 EDT 2013

Hi John,

I don't think you quite got it yet.  All of those types of "Dongles"
have no frontend filtering and no gain control (AGC).  Basically it is a
"diode" (so to speak) looking at the spectrum from DC to Daylight, even
though they have a limited range.  So, yes, there will be birdies and
aliasing issues.  There is no software from a unit's manufacturer for
the "All Frequency" observation mode that Amateur radio and other
hobbyists are using it for.

Aside from all that , they do come in a plastic case and there is some
excelent control software, notably Simon Browns HDSDR,  that can control
a number of these types of umits.  As for spectrum software, the best
one is Spectrum Labs which can take I/Q input.  See the respective web
sites for more information.  Both of these packages are FREE.

http://www.hdsdr.de/hardware.html   The SDR software hardware page

http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html    The Spectrum Lab software.

Bill....WB6BNQ