[time-nuts] SDR Radio Opinion- Next Question

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Mon Aug 5 18:45:20 EDT 2013

> Hi John,
>
> I don't think you quite got it yet.  All of those types of "Dongles"
> have no frontend filtering and no gain control (AGC).

Oh, I'm all too familiar w/ SAs without YIG preselectors. That's why I've
always preferred AILtech to HP.

> Basically it is a
> "diode" (so to speak) looking at the spectrum from DC to Daylight, even
> though they have a limited range.

Understood. But, there are Image Rejection Mixers.

> So, yes, there will be birdies and
> aliasing issues.  There is no software from a unit's manufacturer for
> the "All Frequency" observation mode that Amateur radio and other
> hobbyists are using it for.

What I'm looking for is something like the W-J, ACL, or CEI ELINT
receivers, in digital form, and much cheaper. I just would like to play
with one a bit.

> Aside from all that , they do come in a plastic case and there is some
> excelent control software, notably Simon Browns HDSDR,  that can control
> a number of these types of umits.  As for spectrum software, the best
> one is Spectrum Labs which can take I/Q input.  See the respective web
> sites for more information.  Both of these packages are FREE.

Free is good! LoL.

> http://www.hdsdr.de/hardware.html   The SDR software hardware page
>
> http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html    The Spectrum Lab software.
>
> Bill....WB6BNQ