[time-nuts] Low noise power supplies?

Sarah White kuzetsa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 06:29:37 EST 2013

Bob Camp, Thursday, January 31 11:36 AM (Local NY time):
((...snip...))
> With a good enough voltmeter you could carry the analogy one step further
> and compute an ADEV like number on the output voltage. I suspect that's
> carrying things a bit far.

No, I disagree. That's not carrying things nearly far enough.

I really think we should figure out a reliable methodology for this sort
of thing. This is time nuts after all, so perhaps some time/frequency
applications might end up needing sub-nanovolt regulation (and there are
those whom might simply "need" it because they're nuts)

Tom Van Baak, Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:43 AM (Local NY time):
((...snip...))
> I was never quite satisfied with the outcome of comparing a half dozen power
> supplies this way:
> http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/tbolt/noise.htm
>
> We have rigorous ways to compare and report oscillator performance; both as
> numbers and as plots. Is there something equivalent for power supplies?

Thanks Tom.

I found that writeup about various power supplies rather useful. I'm
doing some research and development for power supplies right now, and
hope to come up with something completely nuts by the time I'm ready to
go from learning how to work with thunderbolts / GPS Disciplined OCXO to
something exotic which, today, might be far over my head.

--Sarah