[time-nuts] Z3805A/58503A time receiver : 2 questions

Volker Esper ailer2 at t-online.de
Wed Feb 27 19:26:48 EST 2013

Hi Claude!

Said says, you should see 6+ sats, I guess he means _at_least_ six. I'm
almost sure, you've got a 6 channel receiver, so you naturally cant't
get more than 6 sats at a time.

There are some different models of the Z3805A out there, though they're
all named the same. I've got two units, one with an 8 channel and one
with a 16 channel receiver. My 8channel unit never receives more than 6
sats at a time, never. So I'm shure, it's a 6 channel type...

Maybe I should improve my antenna. But the same antenna provides enough
voltage to receive 12 to 14 sats at once with the 16 channel unit. On
the other hand, my 6/8 channel gizmo very rarely shows less than 6 sats,
so, like Said, I too think, that there is some space for improving your
antenna. What antenna do you have?

One day, while using the 16 channel unit, I experienced the same hops as
you did. All time nuts told me that it had to be a crystal jump. I read
about such phenomenons and all I found was, that the jump in my receiver
was too big to fit to the idea of a crystal jump. Unfortunately my
receiver gained fun in jumping. Now I'm absolutely not sure what it is.
Maybe it's a faulty oscillator. Which one do you have built in? A 5 or a
10 MHz type? I've got a 10 MHz HP and a 5 MHz Symmetricom oscillator.

Cheers

Volker