[time-nuts] NTP to discipline Raspberry Pi (Hal Murray)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jul 25 15:17:55 EDT 2013

james at peroulas.com said:
> This would be my first time looking at kernel sources. Any suggestions as to
> where to start?

I don't have a Raspberry Pi so I'm not familiar with how they do things.

The main Linux kernel sources are available at kernel.org.  It's driven by a
config file, and there is a curses based menu program to select the options
you want.  You get there via make menuconfig.  There is also a make oldconfig
that takes an old config file (copied from someplace) and asks what you want
to do with the new options.

Each distribution usually has their own software collection which includes
patches made to upstream packages they use that haven't been accepted by the
upstream yet.  If you poke around the Raspberry Pi web site, you should be
able to find the recipe for downloading, building, and installing their
(probably modified) version of the kernel.  There is probably a mailing list
to discuss things like that.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.