[time-nuts] Z3815A pinout

Mark C. Stephens marks at non-stop.com.au
Wed Jun 5 18:15:16 EDT 2013

Magnus, Just plug 18-60V into P10 (next to the GPS), Supposedly the input power is steered by diodes so it is polarity insensitive.
Anyway, It's a standard connector, I am sure you have tons of them, On mine, Pin 1 is wired to negative, Pin 2 to positive.
Pin2 is closest to the left edge looking from the front.

Gently cut the white multi coax plastic connector shell off at the back and the coax connectors just pull out.
Can do a seamless job with very little patience.

You can fit certain SMB connectors as replacement.
Failing that, solder your GPS antenna feed centre conductor into b2, shield can go in a1,a3,c1,c3.

As a sidenote, I have seen inside those nice Z3815A boxes.
They are fakes. I know for fact they make the box in china and put an old module in it :)
If you have one of these fake ones, your Antenna Coax will have about an inch of unexposed coax and the ground tacked in the wrong place resulting in your GPS being as deaf as a post.

There are also 2 SMB on the Z3815A board itself of note supplying 1PPS and 10Mhz un-buffered.

Back to the rear where you have removed the connector, 3 buffered 10Mhz outputs are on d5,d8,d11 grounds are c4-12 and e4-12.

The Z3815A are a really lovely unit, Mine got down to 200ns hold pred. uncertainty within a couple of days.
Unfortunately I knocked the bench power out last night accidently while trying to reach some coax snagged around something at the back.

Apparently, Don't touch the current batch on Ebay, they were tested by some chap in Japan and he sold the rejects to Chinese eBay sellers.
About 50% power on, but have poor performance.
This is hearsay of course, YMMV..

-marki