[time-nuts] Mounting Suggestions for Morion MV89A

Gregory Muir engineering at mt.net
Fri May 17 20:23:00 EDT 2013

I occasionally have the same issue when receiving microwave counters that (for some strange reason) are equipped with poor TCXOs and need to install an OCXO.  To solve this problem, I found a source of bare FR4 glass epoxy board stock:

http://accurateplastics.thomasnet.com/viewitems/epoxyglas-g10-fr4--mil-i-24768-27--nema-fr4/epoxyglas-sup-tm-sup-g10-fr4-panel

They offer pre-cut standard size smaller panels of different thicknesses but, unfortunately have a minimum order.  Given my work, I usually place an order for several different sizes and thicknesses.

In addition to this, I then purchase PCB receptacles from Mouser Electronics to allow easy removal of the oscillators if required:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/646/1748.pdf
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/646/1751.pdf

Drill a few holes, press in the sockets, wire them up point-to-point and you have a convenient mounting method.  The above pages also show turret type terminals which you can also use to mount external discrete components if necessary.  In all it makes for a very neat retrofit.

If your application is portable, fabricate a small hold down clamp to keep the oscillator in its socket during transit and vibration.

Otherwise one could obtain a FR4 board with pre-etched isolated pads providing the component has standard pin spacing and arrangement but then you have a "Swiss cheese" appearance to your project.

Greg

On Fri, 17 May 2013 13:19:05 -0700, Frederick Bray write: