[time-nuts] FYI: NPLTime® - a new service providing a precise time signal directly traceable to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) and independent of GPS.

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 14 14:44:24 EDT 2014

On 8/14/14, 11:12 AM, mike cook wrote:
> WOW!   Guaranteeing compliance with FINRA OATS 7430 !
>
> Here it is......
>
> All computer system clocks and mechanical time stamping devices must be synchronized to within three seconds of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) atomic clock."
>
> They are going to have their work cut out.. dedicated fibre cable.. will they even be able to get close?

3 seconds is pretty loose though...I could probably distribute time to
within 3 seconds using radio.

Those finance people are concerned about microseconds. They're setting
up (or have set up) a through the air microwave link from New York to
Chicago (I think.. somewhere in that area) because it is faster than
sending the data via fiber.  After all, air has an index closer to 1
than silica, and over 100s of km, that makes a difference.