[time-nuts] Serial port splitter s/w

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 13:45:05 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:53 AM, d0ct0r <time at patoka.org> wrote:

> Here is interesting topic about NTP on Raspberry PI (typical usage of ARM
> and Linux bread on top of it)

The article addresses using the Pi as an NTP server with stratum > 0.
In other words as an NTP server that uses another NTP server as its
reference clock so it uses Ethernet for time transfer.  In the OP's
case he wants to build a Stratum = 0 server that uses GPS as a
reference clock.  Ethernet "noise" will not be an issue.

The Pi might or might not be the best choise.  There are now so many
small and cheap ARM systems.  You can even re-purpose an old ARM based
router or small NAS. box.

Except as an exercise there is almost no point any more using GPS to
drive a local NTP server if you have a very good Internet connection.
 My fiber Internet connection is as good as Ethernet as the Pool
Servers work well for me.  Those using slower or a widely shared
connection might not get as good a result.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California