[time-nuts] Z3815A receiver transplant

Morris Odell vilgotch at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 24 18:17:09 EST 2014

Hi all,

The Z3815A is working perfectly with the new receiver except for a
persistent antenna alarm. The new receiver is reporting the antenna is OK
but it must have a different self-test answer sentence to the old one. The
self-test is a PFEC sentence, which is proprietary to the manufacturer and
not part of the standard NMEA protocol. It's responding appropriately to
self-test requests from the motherboard but obviously there's a difference
in the answer sentence which reports antenna integrity. I've tested it with
two different antennas and they both see lots of sats  properly but still
produce that alarm.

If anyone here has any documentation or manuals for the Furuno GT-74 I would
be very grateful for copies. If I can find the reason for the persistent
alarm and it's a difference in the self-test answer, I'll make up a new
interface with a microcontroller to emulate the old receiver and then it
will be indistinguishable!

Morris VK3DOC in Melbourne, Australia