[time-nuts] 1903 Railroad self-Winding / Self-setting Clock

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Nov 1 08:50:26 EDT 2014

Hi

The “easy way” is probably to take a GPS module and get the time out of that. There’s not a big need for a GPSDO in this case. The modules cost < $20 and run on very little power.

Mate the module up with your processor du-jour and let it figure out when the top of the hour is. There are a *bunch* of < $15 boards out there. No need for anything fancy. The advantage of having a bit of code is that it can *know* when you are at 12:00:00 rather than having to count 3600 seconds past the last reset.

I would use a … relay… to drive the clock. That way everything is isolated from everything else. You also get a nice real sounding click when it fires.

Total cost of everything < $50. Total time to get it all done…..

I would take the clock to a “clock guy” to make sure it’s up to running this way. It would be a shame to fire things up and find that there is a problem with the clock. Even worse if you break something in the clock.

Totally off topic … we had a similar system in 8th grade. For some odd reason the reset didn’t work quite right. The clock tended to go nuts when the reset signal came through. Very distracting …. wonder why it did that ….

Bob