[time-nuts] KS-24361 EFC Error

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Aug 11 19:09:05 EDT 2015

Hi

From your description it sounds like you have done a very complete analysis of the problem. The
only other thing you *could* do is to run the EFC over 0 to 6V with a power supply and see just
how the OCXO behaves. It would not tell you much more than you know already. It might blow
something important out on the board.

Here’s effectively what you know:

1) The OCXO is coming up to temperature (it’s close) = not a heater issue
2) The EFC is not shorted (it does tune)
3) The OCXO has an output and the board recognizes the output = not a shorted output issue
4) The board properly deals with the output that the OCXO has = not a problem elsewhere on the REF-1 board

I’d say it’s time for the big soldering iron and a new OCXO

— OR —

For the very ambitious, start swapping ROM’s and GPS parts from the “dead” REF-1 over to the “live” REF-0.

I think taking the soldering iron to the OCXO is the better bet.

Bob