[time-nuts] Ublox M8N - have I a XO or TCXO ?

Mike Cook michael.cook at sfr.fr
Wed Dec 21 04:20:18 EST 2016

> Le 21 déc. 2016 à 00:08, Kiwi Geoff <geoff36 at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Hello All - and Seasons Greetings,
>
> One of the advantages of the recent hobby drone phenomena - it has
> brought to the market a lot of low cost GNSS modules that are
> lightweight for drone flight control systems. Those of us with other
> hobbies, like "Time Nuts" and RTK - these low cost modules can be a
> little goldmine for cost effective toys.
>
> However the dark side is that some vendors are re-badging lower cost
> modules, printing their own labels and marking as "Ublox M8N" for
> example.

It wouldn't surprise me, but  you have a reference for this?

> Can anyone comment on the following data, and whether they think the
> oscillator in "my" M8N is a XO or a TCXO ?

I don’t thing that you can get find out from that data. Ublox indicate in the product info sheets that the TCXO option is used to get to a first fix quicker in weak signal conditions. It is not specified and I think that it is logical, that there is an improved timing solution. I would expect that both XO and TCXO versions are the same frequency and the better long term stability of a TCXO not be an influence on the single shot quantization error of the 1PPS.