[time-nuts] Introduction

Enrico Bellotti enrico.bellotti at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 00:55:42 EST 2016

Hello to all,

first of all, thank you for the great and useful work that the time-nuts
have done over the years.

I have finally been able to gather all my counters (HP5335A, HP51131A,
HP5370A, HP5370B #1, HP5370B #2) and try to do some "simple" measurements.

I have started testing and comparing the instruments I have available using
the approach that was discussed a while ago on the list and also outlined
by John Ackermann (http://www.febo.com/pages/hp5370b/). Specifically, the
Adev for a time interval measurement on a (90ft of) RG58A/U cable.

I have attached a PDF file with the results and some additional details of
the test setup.

>From what I have understood the Adev at one second is related to the
counter resolution. The results I have obtained seem to be reasonable
except for HP5370B #2. This instrument seems to be marginal at best. Does
anybody know if the measured value for HP5370B #2 is a symptom of a
multifunction or simple need for calibration?

Thank you for any comments/suggestions/corrections you may have.

Best.
Enrico