[time-nuts] Effect of the Antenna Delay in setting in Z380!A

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Mon Feb 29 17:24:10 EST 2016

On Mon, February 29, 2016 3:05 pm, Artek Manuals wrote:
> One of the commands for the Z38xx series involves setting the Antenna
> (feedline) delay..
> Am I correct in assuming that the only thing this does is affect the X,
> Y  & Z coordinate accuracy of the ground station? Time and frequency
> accuracy are not really a factor when it comes to the ANT:DELAY setting
> ...correct?

Actually it is the opposite, only the time accuracy is affected by the
antenna delay setting.  That setting advances the PPS output so that when
the PPS transition is seen it matches more closely true UTC seconds
transitions rather than being delayed by the travel time from antenna to
receiver.  It should typically only affect time accuracy by some number of
nanoseconds.  At least I assume you don't have multiple hundreds of feet
of coax between your antenna and receiver.  The offset is static, so
frequency accuracy is not affected, only the difference between your local
PPS output and the location of "true" UTC seconds transition.

--
Chris Caudle