[time-nuts] I thought GPS repeated every 12 hours (-2 minutes)

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon May 23 20:01:19 EDT 2016

Hi Skip,

> Any help in understanding this behavior?  Thanks in advance.

Yes, GPS satellites do repeat every ~12 hours in orbit around the mass of the earth -- but -- you and the earth turns 180 degrees during those 12 hours. So you're no longer where you should be when the 1st repeat occurs. Instead you have to wait yet another 12 hours for the earth to get back to the place where you were, in time to see the 2nd repeat. Now when you hear "get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged", you'll think of GPS satellites instead of the Beatles.

So the LH plots are correct. Here's another take:

1) Say it's 6 PM MDT in Denver at lat/lon +39/-104 and you see a pattern of N satellites in the sky.
2) Tomorrow morning at 6 AM MDT that same pattern will be in the sky -- not for you -- but for some guy at 6 PM lost in Inner Mongolia at lat/lon +39/+104.
3) Tomorrow evening at 6 PM MDT that same pattern will again be in the sky, this time for you in Denver.

/tvb