[time-nuts] Cs tube pics

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 1 07:25:16 EDT 2016

On 10/31/16 10:18 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:

> When you're all done you'll realize just how amazing it is that an entire atomic physics laboratory can be reduced to the size of a 2L water bottle, with a 68000 CPU playing the role of the grad student. It can run 24x7 for 10 to 20 years and remain accurate to better than 1e-13. That's why everyone should own a cesium standard after they grow tired of playing with GPSDO.

Indeed.. we've got two projects at JPL that are in this bucket: one is
the Deep Space Atomic Clock - a trapped mercury ion device; the other is
Cold Atom Lab - which creates Bose Einstein Condensates

Both are basically "take a lab bench full of gear and make it a box
where you can push a switch and have it go ping"

(in space, where almost nobody makes service calls)

There's a whole lot of "undocumented" (or just plainly poorly
understood) idiosyncratic behavior in these sorts of things.