[time-nuts] Cs tube pics

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 08:58:25 EDT 2016

Has any one opened a FTS tube it is smaller than the new HP tube, would be
nice. If not I will gladly make one available for the cost of shipping.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 11/1/2016 1:19:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tvb at LeapSecond.com writes:

> Thanks for  the other good links as well.  Your pictures at HP are
archived
>  in Google somewhere, as I ran across at least one in my preliminary
>  research.

Hi Skip,

Ah, now I know what you mean. Around 2005 I  took a set of cesium beam tube
photos within the semi-public viewing area at  hp/Agilent, Santa Clara.
These are mostly similar to yours, with some  additional tear down of the tube
to expose pieces on the ends and middle. The  link is here:

http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/cesium-tube/

So if  you keep hacking on your tube(s) you should get to the same point as
they did.  If nothing else, you can use my photos of hp's display as a hint
of where and  where not to cut! Note that the shinny copper will look
fantastic at first but  may dull over time. The chemists on the list can
recommend how to preserve  it.

When you're all done you'll realize just how amazing it is that an  entire
atomic physics laboratory can be reduced to the size of a 2L water  bottle,
with a 68000 CPU playing the role of the grad student. It can run 24x7  for
10 to 20 years and remain accurate to better than 1e-13. That's why
everyone should own a cesium standard after they grow tired of playing with  GPSDO.

/tvb