[time-nuts] Thinking outside the box a super reference

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Thu Nov 3 23:36:07 EDT 2016

Hi Bert:

Have you looked into the Stanford Research PRS-10?  It a current production Rb standard with internal provision to sync
to 1 PPS.
http://prc68.com/I/PRS10.shtml
You can choose to run it like a GPSDO but it needs an external 1 PPS for that (there is no GPS receiver in the PRS-10).
Or, you can time stamp an external 1 PPS.

The company was founded by a physicist and they hire mostly physicists rather than engineers.  I like their stuff.
The crystal oscillator in the PRS-10 is the SC-10, also made by SR and comes in many flavors that among other things
trade off aging for stability.  I assume you could order a custom PRS-10 with the desired crystal oscillator specs.

Before spending a lot of money you might want to experiment with the PRS-10 and the best currently available GNS timing
receiver.

I experimented with both hardware and software sawtooth correction and they both have pluses and minuses.  I seem to
remember that CNS Systems had a sawtooth corrected GPS timing receiver that ran TAC32 software, but haven't kept up on it.

--
Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com