[time-nuts] I love the smell of tantalum in the morning

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Nov 5 15:12:18 EDT 2016

See C13 in the attached photo. I need to replace some blown caps on a few boards [1]. In one instance the cap got so hot it melted itself off the board. Quiet convenient, actually -- it acts like its own fuse -- but I don't think the 5071 designers had that clever feature in mind.

Having not done SMT before, how should I do it with minimal risk to the very precious PCB. Or, what equipment should I use this as a good excuse to buy?

Thanks,
/tvb

[0] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/quotes
[1] http://leapsecond.com/museum/hp5071a/A1-mother.htm