[time-nuts] UltrAtomic Clock

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Thu Apr 6 18:38:43 EDT 2017

When I got home after my Thursday Lunch meeting today, my new La Crosse
404-1235UA-SS UltrAtomic clock was waiting. I unpacked it and installed
two (of 4 possible) C-cells and set it on the floor upstairs near the
center of my home, fully under the radiant barrier insulation that has
foiled (that's a pun!) all my previous "Atomic" clocks. The hands moved
around 4 hours and stopped. I left.

Returning about an hour later, the clock had set itself correctly!

I verified the displayed time against my (Tindie) GPS Clock and the
seconds and seconds-tick match as closely as I can determine visually.

It's very unusual for these WWVB clocks to set during daylight.
Normally, the 60 KHz WWVB reception during daylight hours is very poor
indeed here on the west coast. These "atomic" clocks normally set to
WWVB time in the several hours after midnight.

That this new BPSK phase-shift modulation allowed reception under poor
conditions is a big plus, especially for those with radiant barrier
insulation and those who live on the east coast where the WWVB signal is
weak.

If you want to shop for this new clock, check Amazon for price:

https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-404-1235UA-SS-UltrAtomic-Stainless/dp/B01CCHXTE2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491517516&sr=8-1&keywords=ultrAtomic+clock

Better specs are on the La Crosse website here:

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/404-1235ua-ss-unltrtomic-analog-wall-clock

It's kinda big, but I surely won't have any trouble reading it across a
room!

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)