[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt no longer determines the correct date

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Aug 30 05:14:45 EDT 2017

timeok at timeok.it said:
>    Hal, I suppose your opinion is correct. A friend has found  the same
> problem with an HPZ3016A GPSDO. The solution was to resetting the internal
> counter inside the Motorola GPS module. To do this , the friend has removed
> the GPS module and communicate using his proper serial port to reset the
> internal counter. I have not some more details about the operation, but if
> request I can ask him.

With the HP Z3801A, you can do it without removing the GPS module.  The
command is something like:
  :GPS:INIT:DATE 2016,09,05
I think you have to do it on each power up, or maybe not if the battery on
the GPS is good.  You may have to disconnect the antenna before doing it.

I expect it will work on other HP GPSDOs, but I haven't tried it.  I have a
KS-24361 that rolled over a few weeks ago and is now giving bogus time.  I'm
deliberately not fixing it until I have time to chase an NTP quirk.  (It's
working rather than rejecting the bogus time, but I can't find the fixup
code.)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.