[time-nuts] End-of-Range: Oscilloquartz OCXO 8600-3

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Fri Dec 8 17:58:19 EST 2017

I have an Oscilloquartz 8601 which is an 8600 with a different
connector.  It had drifted low so I traced out the schematic and removed
a 91 pf capacitor to retune it back to 5 MHz.  Attached is my
schematic.  Note the following:
1.  The value of L1 is highly suspect.  It's a single layer toroid which
appears to be wound on a clear plastic core.  It's too small and
delicate to touch so I'm not going to try to measure it.
2.  The varactor is actually a 1N5456A.  I didn't have a model handy for
that so I used the MV2201.
3.  C6 is the 91 pf capacitor that I removed.
4.  All of the important capacitors are AVX CY series glass capacitors.
Since they have a temperature coefficient of +140 +-25 ppm/C, the oven
temperature will have a significant effect on the frequency.
5.  C1, C4, R9, and L4 represent the crystal parameters.
6.  This is an LTSpice simulation, but it doesn't work very well. It has
trouble starting.  It's worth noting that the oscillator itself takes a
few seconds to start up.

Ed