[time-nuts] accurate 60 hz reference chips/ckts

Jim Harman j99harman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 17:08:42 EST 2017

Since the power line has the desired long term stability but is poor on the
short term, I wonder if a solution might be to use it as the reference for
a "power line disciplined oscillator."

You would want a filter time constant of several hours in the control loop
to smooth out the variations in the 60 Hz.

Or it might be easier to rip the guts out of the Radio Shack clock, just
keeping the display, and drive the display with an Arduino and a DS3231 RTC
chip as the reference.

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 4:05 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> apolloeme at gmail.com said:
> > Want to provide an accurate  (relatively accurate) 60 hz reference to the
> > chip.   Some room inside for custom modifications.  Does a TCXO or
> similar
> > exist in a small package that provides 60 hz ticks?
>
> I doubt if you will find a TCXO that puts out 60 Hz.  But it's only one
> chip
> to make a divider.  The trick is to do it in software rather than hardware.
>
> The real question is what sort of error pattern are you interested in.  The
> power company has good long term stability.  How good is your TCXO?  It
> would
> be fun to play with the numbers.  On the other hand, can you derive your 60
> Hz from a GPSDO?
>
> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

--Jim Harman