[time-nuts] Papers on timing for lunar laser ranging

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 7 19:14:41 EDT 2017

On 7/7/17 3:14 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

> kb8tq at n1k.org said:
>> Consider that in 1974, I could buy a nice new car for less than what a
>> decent packaged 16 bit DAC cost.  Go back into the 1960’s and you are up
>> into the “several new cars”  range. Even for NASA projects cost did make it
>> into the equation ….

Note that these papers are talking about optical ranging to the
reflectors left on the moon by the Apollo missions, but the actual work
was being done recently (e.g. it's a Microsemi 5071 Cesium clock)

> When was the first GPSDO shipped as a commercial product?
An interesting question - at least 20 years ago - XL-DC manual, Rev E,
from 1997
http://glacier.lbl.gov/gtp/DOM/Support/xl-dc-manual.pdf

> There is an interesting tradeoff in GPSDO design.  With a specific DAC, you
> can get finer steps if you reduce the tuning range.  Has anybody built one
> with a reduced range and a knob on the side to adjust the center point of
> that range?  You would have to adjust that knob occasionally as the crystal
> you are tuning drifted.

My mid 2000s 10 MHz OCXOs from Wenzel have both EFC and a manual
adjustment of some sort (I'm not sure what's under the little cap on the
side.. a trimmer cap or something?)