[time-nuts] Holdover, RTC for Pi as NTP GPS source

MLewis mlewis000 at rogers.com
Wed Nov 1 00:14:54 EDT 2017

(I suspect this is drifting from the original thread too much, so new
subject)

Temperature ranges from 65F to 78F, with the potential for drafts, but
is more typically 76F.

I read about the NTPsec runs with insulating a Pi and running a load
generating program to better maintain a stable core temperature.
Just today I've put my GPS module inside a case for an RF shield that is
also semi insulated. It's feeding LH on a PC while I do the next step.
The Pi 3 is going inside a large enough tea tin and that will be lined
with insulation.
I'm wondering about insulating the RTC...

The low cost for a 'precision' RTC means it is cheap to test.

I'd completely discounted coasting with the system clock, as I have
fixed in my head the variable loads on my production machine mean that
Window's time lags variable amounts, as the CPU load is variable with
variable burst loads every 1/8 of a second.

Michael