[time-nuts] Suggestion for a timing GPS receiver (Trimble / Ublox /other?)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 02:11:57 EST 2018

Dear fellow nuts,

I plan to build a decent GPS/GNSS-based Stratum 1 NTP server, and I'm
looking for a good and possibly affordable timing GPS receiver.
[]
Am I overlooking something or missing interesting options?

Cheers,

Paride IZ3SUS

Paride,

As Mark notes, you don't need a timing precision GPS receiver for NTP, a
standard position GPS receiver is quite good enough providing it has a PPS
output.  If you're thinking Raspberry Pi, there are some ready-made modules
such as:

  https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=81

Stephen mentioned the newer series-8 ublox modules.  These are indeed
excellent (and can receiver Galileo too), but a number of vendors
advertising series-8 modules (on both eBay and Amazon) are using remarked
series 5 or 6 chips without the series-8 functions.  Use the ublox u-center
program to check anything you buy.  From Amazon, at least, I got an
immediate refund.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu