[time-nuts] WWVB: measuring local 60 KHz noise

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun May 6 14:28:31 EDT 2018

Hi

First off, I don’t think there *is* an ideal antenna that “just works”. Maybe a proper set of EMAG
probes that come with calibration sheets come close. For a home built this or that …. there are
a lot of variables.

First up is very much part of receiving WWVB in the first place. Coax to an antenna can have currents
on the outer shield. If they meet up with everything else at the antenna, you are not just measuring
the antenna output. Equally, if reception is the goal, you may have a ton of noise that you didn’t really
want to have. Of course, the coax might act as a really good antenna …. who knows.

Something like a 6” diameter single turn  loop with a good choke at the antenna end of the coax would
be my first choice. Not super sensitive. It’s not the ideal reception antenna. For chasing down noise, smaller
is often better. As mentioned earlier we are after stuff that may be in the millivolts per meter range.

Classic data:

ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/ionosonde/documentation/CCIR%20-%20Characteristics%20and%20Applications%20of%20Atmospheric%20Radio%20Noise%20Data.PDF <ftp://ftp.ngdc.noaa.gov/ionosonde/documentation/CCIR%20-%20Characteristics%20and%20Applications%20of%20Atmospheric%20Radio%20Noise%20Data.PDF>

puts the atmospheric noise at 120 db above KTB in the vicinity of 60 KHz. That would put it in the roughly
-54 dbm / Hz range. If your spectrum analyzer has a 1KHz bandwidth, that’s 30 db relative to 1 Hz. Your
SA should read about -24 dbm ( with an efficient antenna).  Coming up with a 1/4 wave vertical at 60 KHz
may make getting those numbers a bit difficult :). Bottom line is still — there’s a lot of noise at 60 KHz. Also
note that the report came out *long* before the modern era of 60 KHz switchers …..

Bob