[time-nuts] WWVB: measuring local 60 KHz noise

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun May 6 16:07:22 EDT 2018

Long ago I did some WWVB signal-to-noise measurements with an HP 3586C selective voltmeter (commonly used by the FMT-nuts).  I measured the signal power at 60.0 kHz with 20 Hz bandwidth.  Then I measured the power a small offset plus and minus  (100 Hz?  I don't recall), and took the mean of the two to get the noise power.  I used a voltage-probe antenna.

Since all readings were taken with the same bandwidth I didn't bother normalizing to 1 Hz, and just used the dBm difference between the signal and mean noise as the result.  I took measurements every 5 minutes or so to capture the 24 hour cycle of SNR.

John