[time-nuts] Seeing/monitoring very short pulses

Michael Baker mpb45 at clanbaker.org
Mon Aug 20 13:51:37 UTC 2012

Time-nutters--

I have had several instances where I needed to monitor
the continuous presence of pulses too short or too
spaced out to check on conveniently, even with a scope.

My solution was a one-shot monostable IC driving an
LED.   Example--: a uS (or whatever length) pulse triggers the
one-shot which turns the LED on brightly for 1/10 second.

I have incorporated this feature into several PC board
projects over the years.  I am anally-compulsive about
installing ways to monitor different functions in the
circuitry of my projects.  On a couple of occasions I
have gone so far as to build a sub-panel with a collection
of monitoring indicators.   These have been huge time
savers for quickly zeroing-in on the cause of many
problems occurring long after I have forgotten the
working details of a projects circuitry.

Mike Baker