[time-nuts] ublox chip sets - what GPS device should I buy?

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Fri Aug 31 22:05:29 UTC 2012

On 31 August 2012 22:03, Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Are you thinking of hooking up an external GPS to the unit? I've never seen one of these VNA's so I'm a little in the dark.
>
> Bob

The Agilent N9923A is a portable battery powered VNA to 4 or 6 GHz
(depening on what option you have. It's only a software change).

http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/product.jspx?cc=GB&lc=eng&ckey=1760161&nid=-33903.922802.00&id=1760161&cmpid=zzfindn9923a

I don't expect it to have the performance of a laboratory instrument,
but it is a bit more usable for making measurements outside on an
antenna. It will complement my HP 8720D, which covers 50 MHz to 20
GHz, but it not portable.

I don't have it yet, but bought it on eBay today from the seller
"agilentused" which is Agilent, and sells used/ex-demo units which
have been reconditioned, and have a fully warranty. Since I have not
got it, I don't know much about it, but I have of course downloaded
the manual.

But from what I can work out, a USB stick plugs into the VNA and lets
on record latitude, longitdude and altitude. The manual makes it clear
the maps are not used, so there's no need to have the latest maps.

The GPS can also be used to set the internal clock.

One can adjust the frequency of the 10 MHz reference, but the VNA
needs to be connected to an external 10 MHz reference to do this -
there is no ability to use the GPS to set the frequency of the
oscillator.